Friday, October 24, 2014

Is ethics overrated?



I may still be rosy-eyed about how the world should be as opposed to what it is and live in my sweet bubble; you may call me oblivious or just stupid – but I still will think that as humans we have the moral obligation to be just and fair. Especially for those of us in academics, we should practice what we preach.

I am still new to this world of academics, writing papers in peer reviewed journals, book chapters, attending conferences – in a word, building my career. But one thing I have learned very quickly is that we can’t judge a book by its cover. Qualifications does not build character here, rather they un-build it. Everyone is busy increasing the number of their publications, very few bother about the actual brains behind those. I have been taught about the importance of ethics in courses and I have seen the same person who taught it be as unethical as he can be. I have worked my ass off on projects and then have seen people take credit for it in publications and giving me some cock and bull story for it. I have lost my sleep wondering how they sleep at night and realised that it does not matter after all. All that matters is the number of publication one has. But then again, I am still new to this world.

The problem is, it is not just my concern, it is the concern of many other students like me. We blame the system for it, we blame the moral codes of academicians in India. I pretty much believe that’s why innovation in our country is stuck. The older generation of academicians have had their share of innovative ideas and golden days but right now are busy cashing in from the brains of their students, trainees and interns while young students like us are tired of injustice and have completely stopped thinking. When I say this, I am not talking about the 1.2 billion in our country but just a few whom you can count in your fingers. But I believe the handful still matters. I matter. It is not like we are Pulitzer or Nobel or Man Booker materials but that does not stop what’s ours from being ours! 

Some might say, why don’t you protest or talk about it? It’s not that easy. We are here to build a career and you can’t live in the waters and fight with the crocodiles. Practically, sometimes the answer is just adapting to it. One might say, if you can’t fight, don’t complain. May be they are right. May be they are not.  But the more important question here is what can be done about it? I believe ethics should be a more important part of Moral Sciences course in schools to educate the kids about its importance in life; we, the young researchers can take a vow to be ethical in our future and not just run after fame. Bust most important of all, we should start practicing our own preachings. Once I read a quote by Priyavrat Thareja, “If ethics is not the engine of success, in the train of growth, it sure is a guard, with a flag, which may be green or at times red”. Unfortunately for some of our predecessors the guard has been run over. But let’s not be such reckless drivers in our future. As Nelson Mandela said, “Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great”. It’s not a liability; it’s our duty to acknowledge others. We don’t develop individually, we are better together. So let’s be great TOGETHER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment